Monday, September 22, 2008

This Summer I Hear The Drumming.

I've been away the last couple of days, during which I pretty much listened exclusively to this song:



I also finally got around to reading Christy Road's Indestructible. I wasn't going to - I also took with me a book on the West Memphis Three that was more pressing, due mostly to it not being mine - but I was flipping through the first few pages of Indestructible and the word janky caught my eye. Now, I'm not entirely sure what janky means, but it stuck in my mind for some reason, and I ended up belting through the entire book late one afternoon. I still don't have a precise definition, but for me it's come to mean grotty, angry, a bit stinky, rough as guts, tomboyish, playful and proud, all rolled into one. It doesn't sound like much of a compliment, and in the wrong hands it probably isn't, but it seems to describe a lot of my favourite folks. Even if I'm appearing pretty respectible these days, it's comforting for me to know that there are still people out there for whom being punk means giving accepted conventions a crusty kick in the guts.

No comments: