Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I Wonder, If I Pierce It.

We spend a lot of time sculpting our bodies, trying to convince them to do things that they really don't want to do. After a while has passed our bodies start to take the shapes we want them to, and we can convince ourselves that we are in control. But like the Nicole Kidman character tells the Tom Cruise character in Days Of Thunder, control is an illusion. And it only takes one virus, one infection or even one day of not being able to speak to remind us of this. We like to think that it's a give and take relationship - if we treat our bodies nicely, it won't fail us when we need it most. But that's bullshit too. I need my body now; there are only two weeks til the Northern Combine Three Day Tour and all this time off the bike isn't going to help. And I have a friend over from the states who I'd like to be able to entertain, but really, the novelty of phlegm wears off after a while. I'm good to my body, you know? If it were all about a fair exchange then none of this would be happening. No, all I can tell myself is that life is cruel, and do what I can to enjoy sitting on my couch under a blankie, watching Arrested Development.

1 comment:

Natasha said...

The Stones said it best: You can't always get what you want, Brendan Bailey.

Life is a bitch, it's true. But really, in this case, she's more of a chihuahua on heat than a face-ripping doberman.

Enjoy the fact that you still get paid when sick, and your blankie! I hope you feel better soon.