Tuesday, March 20, 2012

I Bet You Got A Boy.

A quick view of the stats for this blog reveals La Musique Mercredi to be the least popular recurring segment of The New Timer. I kinda understand why - it's ostensibly a cycling blog, so people are obviously not coming here for a hit of rad tunes. I think it's healthy though, to focus on something else every now and then.

So here's a clip from one of the best live bands I've ever seen, singing a song with one of the best Sweet Victory Parts I've ever heard, in footage that I'm only now seeing for the first time. Man, it's crazy good. The singer is obviously drunk, fucks up the words, looks kinda Unabomber crazy. Everyone else in this clip is losing their shit. I saw this band in Montreal back in 2001. They, along with The (International) Noise Conspiracy, were supporting At The Drive In. After this band played At The Drive In seemed so boring that I left.



Of course, The Noise Conspiracy were pretty good too, even if their schtick dated pretty fast.



This was around the time that underground bands wanted to be The Rolling Stones. Even Dischord bands!



At the time, though, I didn't much rate those bands, because I was busy listening to a lot of really earnest stuff that sounded like this:



And even a little bit of Weezer. Funny story about Weezer, though. I saw The Sweater Song on Rage late one night and it kinda blew my mind a little bit. So I went up to Stawell's only record store, Total Music, and ordered it in. For months I went in once or twice a week, only to be told it still hadn't arrived. Eventually I gave up. Then, about a year and a half later, they called me up and told me it was there. I told them I was sorry, but these days I only listen to fiercely political punk rock, and was no longer interested in little indie boys whining about their lives.

Which was true, at the time. But it meant that I missed out on about five years of listening to this:



Thanks folks.

No comments: